Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Ode to Coffee!

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

Even though hot, frothy coffee helps to hone my concentration, letting me work tirelessly for hours on end, I don't want to talk about the actual drink...I'd rather talk about coffee logos!

Here are some I love:

This could've been really cheesy, but it was done in a chic way with a subtle gradient, nice!

I don't know if coffee is necessarily healthy (especially when I add five sugar packets, vanilla flavoring, and frothed milk...mmmmm) but I love this logo, and it makes me believe that it could be healthy!

This one is just too damn cute! Making the handles into noses was a great idea! I didn't see the profiles right away...btw, I love when logos make you take a double-take.

You can't talk about coffee logos without mentioning this one! Some people snidely call it a "symbol of corporate America", but I think it is a beautifully designed one. You can recognize it from a mile away! Wait, maybe not that far...30 feet?


Ok, now for some unfortunate ones (a.k.a. UGLY!):

I can see where they were going with this one...but it is just too blocky and technical-looking. The "b" fitting into the "c" should've been cool, but it was poorly executed.

This one is a nice logo...for a fast food restaurant. It just doesn't give me the impression of fancy coffee drinks in a hip setting, more like hamburgers and onion rings, which do NOT mix well with a vanilla latte!

We all remember when Starbucks decided to shake things up and brought back this 15th century drawing in their logo...it just looks sad, and frankly doesn't make me want to drink coffee.

3 comments:

  1. Well, I guess it goes without saying that most of us agree with your choices. Those are some horrible (and--at the top--pretty good) logos. But I haven't heard of the first two bad companies and the last logo was a temporary deal. What logos do you dislike that we still see around?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the idea for this post while on a vacation in Michigan. The first two bad logos are from mainly mid-western coffee companies, which is probably why you haven't see them around.

    http://www.biggby.com/index.php
    (warning, their website will hurt your eyes!)

    http://www.coffeebeanery.com/index.php

    Check back soon for a post on mainstream logos that I like/dislike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the first one!! And you're right...it could've been designed cheesily (hahahah!)

    ReplyDelete